When life offers you a crescendo of happiness, enjoy it before it dissipates.
Every aspect of our lives has ups and downs, like a sine wave and, like a sine wave, when they combine, they amplify in overall strength.
Sometimes your job is going great, but your family life may be a struggle. Or your faith is doing well, but your health is a challenge. Or your friendships are fulfilling, but your income is not.
On those rare occasions when those important things in your life are going well, don’t take them for granted. It’s easy to think when the sine waves of your life combine, that this is a new and lasting reality, but it’s not.
All things in this life are temporary.
This came into clear focus for me a few years ago.
- We had started Sonlight Pictures.
- We were shooting Nikki & Babs: Dos and Doubts.
- My job had become far more managable.
- We had made much needed improvements to our house.
- Our kids were happily homeschooled with great friends.
- My wife was singing in the church band and it released a popular CD.
- The priests at our church were orthodox.
- Our faith was fulfilling.
All of our individual sine waves aligned and combined and life was awesome.
And then it dissipated.
- The housing crash killed the economy and our immediate plans for Sonlight Pictures.
- Our children attended high schools and faced numerous faith challenges.
- My manager at work changed, causing uncertainty and friction.
- Our pastor was moved and replaced with someone apathetic to orthodoxy.
- My wife had health issues and had to leave the church band.
- My health worsened.
Just like that, the wave of happiness had subsided.
So, take it from me. Life will give you lemons.
But when it stirs together some tasty lemonade, savor every drop.